Infertility is a devastating medical disease or condition that includes many diagnoses such as endometriosis or PCOS. Infertility is typically diagnosed six months to a year after natural attempts to get pregnant are not successful. Sadly, we know that infertility diagnoses are increasing, with 1 out of every 8 couples diagnosed each year. Moreover, research shows 30% male factor, 30% female factor and 40% causes unknown, which makes dealing with diagnosis extremely frustrating. Exceptional Wellness Counseling understands that infertility is more than a medical condition. Both men and women can struggle with depression, anxiety, and grief when IVF cycles fail. Decisions about services such as pre-implantation genetic testing (PGD), frozen eggs or embryos storage, donor embryos, donor sperm, or using a surrogate can be traumatic and often test the limits of people’s ability to cope and can put pressure on marriages and partners who feel inadequate or helpless. Our therapists know that emotional wellness and support is essential during this stressful time that can include uncertainty and fear before, during and after infertility treatment.
Our therapists can help you with:
- Grief and loss associated with cycle failure
- Coping with anxiety and depression that are normal parts of dealing with medication side effects, and rigors of each IVF treatment cycle
- Support you as you make difficult decisions about advanced options including PGD, ICSI or gender sorting.
- Managing your emotions as you make decisions related to egg or embryo freezing or using donor egg or embryo.
- Processing conflict when one person is ready to stop treatment and move forward with another family building option and one wants to keep trying
- Disclosing and discussing the origin story with your child if donor material was used to conceive.
Our therapists are here to help you cope with these feelings, make decisions, and improve your quality of life.