Has your child had a significant loss? Have they experienced some type of trauma?
There are many children and teens who have experienced the loss of a loved one or have had a traumatic experience. When loss or trauma occur it can be challenging to know how your child/teen is coping. Just like adults, they need time to process. Some kids “wear” their emotions on their sleeves, while others it’s like “pulling teeth”. The issue is that many children will say they are fine, but aren’t. Many children/teens report not wanting to “worry” or “upset” their parents. We know that this is the furthest thing from the truth.
Symptoms of Bereavement/Loss/Trauma may include:
- Low self-esteem
- Poor academic achievement
- Change in friends
- Somatic complaints (stomach ache, headaches)
We offer various strategies and therapies that can help. They include:
- Play therapy
- Sand-tray therapy
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Specialized books and workbooks
- Parent sessions to provide support and guidance.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Strengths Based Perspective
Contact us now at (908) 415-2042 to help your child during this most difficult time.