Are you an adult or teen struggling with self-image and overly concerned with food and weight? Are you frequently skipping meals or appear out of control with eating large amounts of food?
Several million people suffer from eating disorders. Typically, these affect women between the ages of 12 and 35 but can go undetected in men and older adults. Disordered eating, which includes Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge Eating Disorder can occur with other mental health issues including depression, anxiety, and self-esteem problems. Disordered eating can lead to severe health issues that affect bones, teeth, mouth, heart, digestive system and can be life-threatening.
Anorexia Nervosa is typically diagnosed when someone weighs at least 15% less than normal healthy weight for their height. Symptoms may include:
- Preoccupation with food and body image
- Limited food intake
- Denial of low body weight
- Skin may be dry and take on a yellowish hue
- Excessive exercising . Bulimia Nervosa is diagnosed when there is frequent binge eating usually followed by purging. Individuals with this type of disordered eating typically struggle with extreme feelings of worry and shame from binging. They typically feel out of control and use behaviors such as purging by vomiting or using laxatives to lessen their calorie intake. Bulimia Nervosa may be difficult to diagnose since many people who use these behaviors have normal body weight. Bulimia Nervosa symptoms may include:
- Inflamed and sore throat
- Tooth enamel wearing off
- Gastroesophageal reflux disorder due to frequent vomiting
- Intestinal problems due to laxative abuse.
- Dehydration due to the purging of fluids
Binge Eating Disorder is diagnosed when there is frequent binge eating episodes but without the purging of Bulimia Nervosa. Binge Eating Disorder symptoms include:
- Rapid eating
- Eating large amounts of food
- Feeling out of control when eating
- Eating alone
- Feeling ashamed of body image or intense guilt
Our team is here to help you with gaining control over urges and obsessions with body weight and image, uncontrollable eating or purging habits, difficulties with self-esteem, and education on healthy eating habits. Don’t let another day go by with feeling this way anymore.
Schedule a Complimentary 15 Minute Phone Consultation
You can also schedule by:
Phone: (908) 415-2042